Amirite?
now you can be right wherever you are.

The 1958 flight accident, in Münich, which killed most of the Manchester United players, was due to the amount of slush on the runway and not a a result of a pilot error. (+3)
says ZonkeyBalls on Mar 28th 17 (#807247)
Agree (5) | Disagree (2)

I can't agree or did because i never heard of this,.Didn't know there were flights way back then:) I expect much is said to be pilot error when it is really not.
says LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred on Mar 28th 17 (#2532195)
Reply | +3 | 3

I blame National Geographic... Such a weird channel. And they let us know this kind of horrible info...
says ZonkeyBalls on Mar 28th 17 (#2532212)
Reply | +1 | 1

Very sad killed some of the greatest players of that generation. 乂º︵º乂
says Ada on Mar 28th 17 (#2532219)
Reply | +2 | 2

They said that one bloke is still considered to be the best of the best that UK has produced, ever, besides your knock-out hands, Ada. ;o) ;o)
says ZonkeyBalls on Mar 28th 17 (#2532222)
Reply | +2 | 2

Yeah Duncan Edwards was one of the best young players the world had seen. Thats said Bobby Charlton survived he went on to win a World Cup in '66, a European Cup in '68 and was Englands highest ever goal scorer with 49 goals until recently. 乂º◡º乂
says Ada on Mar 28th 17 (#2532232)
Reply | +2 | 2

I loved to see Newcastle to win the league back in the nineties... As well as the last season's super surprise!!! It's great to see, that it's not all about money... Which, is very painful for me to admit, since I've been a horrible money-whoring guy since my little boy days (well, I'm nearly 41 by now)... Chelsea's success was great and not so great. I didn't want it to become to this. It's gross, but at least they aren't doing that good at the time?
says ZonkeyBalls on Mar 28th 17 (#2532234)
Reply | +2 | 2

No Chelsea are a recent top team they became really good after a Russian business man brought them and spent feckin millions on them. 乂º◡º乂
says Ada on Mar 28th 17 (#2532241)
Reply | +2 | 2

I know, it's like a bloody curse in disguise.
says ZonkeyBalls on Mar 28th 17 (#2532249)
Reply | +2 | 2

Could that flight have been blown up to kill all the good players that would have beat - who?
says LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred on Mar 29th 17 (#2532891)
Reply | +1 | 1

Nope. I'm sorry, dear, but it was a silly accident.
says ZonkeyBalls on Mar 29th 17 (#2532968)
Reply | 0 | 0

Chelsea are top....football is only about money....I remember exactly where I was when I heard about the crash and it was so sad....
says Platinum on Mar 29th 17 (#2533015)
Reply | +1 | 1

I believe it was the pilot's error in judgement. They had already tried to take off twice without success. The third time killed 23 out of the 44 people on board. The physical condition of the runway was bad, but the decision to keep trying was the pilot's. JMHO
says Will_Janitor on Mar 28th 17 (#2532233)
Reply | +3 | 2

I'm not sure if the wings had frozen up too I can't remember but yes pilot error was blamed after three attempts at taking off. 乂º︵º乂
says Ada on Mar 28th 17 (#2532235)
Reply | +1 | 1

British never gave up and these days the pilot is fully redeemed. Why on Earth would anyone, by the way, have a fuel storage at the end of the runway? Isn't that like playing Russian roulette with planes?
says ZonkeyBalls on Mar 28th 17 (#2532253)
Reply | +2 | 2

Well I mean in this day and age there would be so much health and safety compared to back then. 乂º◡^乂
says Ada on Mar 28th 17 (#2532270)
Reply | +2 | 2

They say, that without that 1958 incident, a lot of people would've died in the last fitfy years. Slush is bad. The really worrying bit here is that BAE didn't give the pilot any chance to carry on with his career. That would be, these days, to be seen as completely unjustified bias.
says ZonkeyBalls on Mar 28th 17 (#2532275)
Reply | +2 | 2

Actually, it was the lack of information that killed them. First off, there were no previous studies to determine, how that plane type would react in the conditions, that were present in that runway. Secondly, since there were no previous studies to determine, how _any_ plane type would react in the conditions, there was no warning about the slush in the end of the runway. Thus, the slowing factor, which has since be proven over and over again, was not informed to the pilots. Third time over... Since the mechanic had told the pilots, that this was a known problem with the aircraft, and therefore would take a more prolonged takeoff measures, the pilots didn't expect the slush at the end of the runway to cause any problems. These days, we know better. But it has been quite a lot of time since zie Germans came. Fourth: There was no ice on the wings. The first one to arrive was a German airpilot, who told the bloody director of the case study, that there was no ice on the wings. This was deleted from the record. Other deleted points were numerous, including the one Gerry, who rescued the other pilot, before he died... Zie witness said, he was wearing rubber boots and there was absolutely no ice on the wing. Fifth: Are you certain you are not a German spy? ;o) ;o) ;o)
says ZonkeyBalls on Mar 28th 17 (#2532246)
Reply | +2 | 2

Zonkey, even with all that said, whose responsibility was it to decide to try a third time?
says Will_Janitor on Mar 28th 17 (#2532251)
Reply | +2 | 2

Pilot's. I see the point, but they missed the point. The point they saw was the problem with the engines' design, which made them working a bit unreliably at higher altitudes. Therefore, the mechanic's output on the issue, about easing a bit and then going forwards slowly, towards the end of the runway, was crucial. If they hadn't had that input, they wouldn't had tried again. And still nobody had warned them about the slush, because the other aircraft had already gone airborne before hitting that dirty little **** of snowy liquid. So... How about you admitting, that this wasn't their fault, but since it was 1958 and they knew a prickle of shit that we know now... It wasn't the pilots' fault?
says ZonkeyBalls on Mar 28th 17 (#2532260)
Reply | +2 | 2

You make a tempting argument as a defense lawyer, but I believe if you have the lives of 44 people in your hands and you make the wrong decision it's your responsibility. I believe there were enough mitigating circumstances that he should not have been tried for murder, but he should not have been allowed to pilot people anymore either. Sometimes you just have to accept that you **** up and it hurt people. That in itself is a big punishment.
says Will_Janitor on Mar 28th 17 (#2532267)
Reply | +2 | 2

I accept that opion. After two attempts, I wouldn't have gone for the third one. It was his call and he didn't know, what to expect, but he knew what had happened earlier and... Well I see it both sides.
says ZonkeyBalls on Mar 28th 17 (#2532269)
Reply | +2 | 2

Add A Comment
If you would like to leave a comment, please login or create an account.