Amirite?
now you can be right wherever you are.

What’s your favorite book/movie of all time and why did it speak to you so much?
says MichelleV on May 15th 17 (#809414)

The Shawshank Redemption. A redemption story based on the novella by Stephen King. I just loved the story of two long time friends meeting in prison, Andy and Red.
says Balou on May 15th 17 (#2567344)
Reply | +9 | 9

I know this story well and I agree. It's a fantastic story. Thanks, Balou.
says MichelleV on May 15th 17 (#2567346)
Reply | +5 | 5

Good to see you on here Michelle.
says Balou on May 15th 17 (#2567376)
Reply | +4 | 4

Different Seasons. : ) That was also the book that had Stand By Me in it, except the novella was called The Body. One of my favorites from King.
says semple on May 15th 17 (#2567518)
Reply | +5 | 5

The novella The Body was turned into the movie, Stand By Me. The novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was turn into the movie, The Shawshank Redemption.
says MichelleV on May 15th 17 (#2567523)
Reply | +5 | 5

I don't know about "all time", but I read "1984" when I was a teenager in the late '50s and I was thinking "that sounds like something that could actually happen in a communist country". But since then, I have watched so many aspects of that book actually happen in the U.S., e.g., politically correct speech rules are like the 1984's Newspeak, and our government increasingly telling us how we have to live our lives (proliferation of areas where smoking is no longer permitted) and outlawing "offensive" speech. When I went to college in the early '60s, I used to like to go to the "Diag" in the center of the campus to watch the protest speeches being delivered.
says goblue1968 on May 15th 17 (#2567380)
Reply | +6 | 6

The drone technology is a very scary next step in my opinion.
says Will_Janitor on May 15th 17 (#2567623)
Reply | +4 | 4

I have many, but a special one is "Anne Frank, The Diary of A Young Girl". I first read it when I was about her age, and it touched me deeply. It was like walking beside her through a world gone insanely evil, and yet she maintained her own innocent perspective on life and humanity. http://data.amirite.net/user_im...9ef2c18875.jpg
says JanHaskell on May 15th 17 (#2567398)
Reply | +8 | 8

I remember we studied this in 7th grade. Very, very somber and sad story.
says MichelleV on May 15th 17 (#2567401)
Reply | +7 | 6

The Green Mile. John Coffey who was on death row, convicted of brutally killing a pair of young sisters. He feared the dark and had this amazing gift and demonstrated his powers when he cured Paul's bladder infection. A great cast as well.
says Markymark on May 15th 17 (#2567521)
Reply | +6 | 6

I read the book by Stephen King. The movie was really good as well.
says MichelleV on May 15th 17 (#2567626)
Reply | +3 | 3

The Hobbit would be my original. The first real book I read and I still have my copy from 7th grade, so tattered I'm afraid to pick it up now...
says semple on May 15th 17 (#2567527)
Reply | +5 | 5

The book is so much better than the movie.
says MichelleV on May 15th 17 (#2567531)
Reply | +4 | 4

Tha latest ones were terrible. I didn't even bother watching the 2nd movie.
says semple on May 15th 17 (#2567688)
Reply | +2 | 2

says MichelleV on May 16th 17 (#2567718)
Reply | +2 | 2

The Long Walk by Richard Bachman. http://images.gr-assets.com/boo...2400l/9014.jpg Original pen name for Stephen King. It was actually a short story but it was very impactful.
says Will_Janitor on May 15th 17 (#2567627)
Reply | +4 | 4

This was King's pseudonym. Thinner is also another good book penned under the name of Bachman. http://data.amirite.net/user_im...a189804395.jpg
says MichelleV on May 15th 17 (#2567631)
Reply | +4 | 5

The Bachman Books... King actually took Rage out of print after school shootings started to become a seemingly everyday occurrence.
says semple on May 16th 17 (#2567732)
Reply | +2 | 1

I believe he took it down after Columbine.
says MichelleV on May 16th 17 (#2567835)
Reply | 0 | 0

'The Secret History of the American Empire' by John Perkins was one of the most enlightening books I've read in terms of understanding geopolitics. If you want to know how the world really works, or at least take a deep look into a central aspect of how the world works, this is a tremendous read. 'The 48 Laws of Power' by Robert Greene. Very important lessons on the dynamics of power. I found myself cringing at how my own violations of the laws had cost me. Reading this book is not all sunshine and roses, but if you take it's lessons to heart and apply them ethically, you can definitely improve your life. 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' by Robert Kiyosaki. An easy to read introduction to money management. There's a lot of BS when it comes to money, this book takes it back to common sense basics, and does so in a way that reads more like a novel than a book on business. There has been some controversy surrounding some of the business practices employed by people licensed to sell other more advanced courses bearing the Rich Dad brand, but that's a side issue, the information in 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' is solid and worth reading. 'The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do about It" by Michael Gerber. How to turn your small business from a job into something you own. Most small businesses fail, and it's usually because their structure is based on people rather than systems. By employing the same strategies major companies use, you can create a well organized business which customers love, that runs independently of you and can expand easily. A definite must read for anyone with an interest in owning their own business. 'The Bible' Some things never change, and this timeless source of wisdom is a good way to learn the big important lessons in life the easy way. Because life is short, and learning the hard way is painful. Jesus' sermon on the mount, Matthew 5-7 is a good place to start, as is 1 Proverbs.
says Maze on May 15th 17 (#2567689)
Reply | +3 | 2

It was a toss up between Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin. To open my eyes to the glory that is a quest for adventure and a thirst for knowledge. Pheadrus by Plato. It showed me that nothing is new and that human thought processes are the same now as they were 2500 years ago. Logic is logic and humans don't change. Rhetoric by Aristotle. Taught me that the spoken and written word are the most powerful tools humans will ever develop, and people who don't understand the way words can manipulate us are destined to fall victim to those that do.
says VicZinc on May 16th 17 (#2567712)
Reply | +5 | 5

Just, wow
says Carla on May 16th 17 (#2567773)
Reply | +4 | 4

Your quote in reference to Rhetoric is something worthy of being kept for future quotes.
says OzSurfer on May 16th 17 (#2567904)
Reply | +3 | 3

Thanks
says VicZinc on May 16th 17 (#2567990)
Reply | +3 | 3

Hmmmm Lord of the flies, i read it first when i was young. It had an impact. I enjoyed the stand. Enough to read it again when the uncut version came out. The whole good vs evil theme, with an unknown at the end. So feasible. There are many others...... Favorite movie.....most people here know it's harold & maude. Why.....it warms me
says Carla on May 16th 17 (#2567715)
Reply | +7 | 7

The Stand would have been my 2nd choice.
says Will_Janitor on May 16th 17 (#2567771)
Reply | +3 | 3

The Stand was on of my favorite books by King.
says MichelleV on May 16th 17 (#2568152)
Reply | +2 | 2

H & M is definitely on my top 5 movies list
says VicZinc on May 16th 17 (#2567864)
Reply | +3 | 3

It's personal.
says trooper on May 16th 17 (#2568028)
Reply | +1 | 1

Movie.. Empire of the Sun. There was a part of the movie that the main character, just a boy. Was watching the Japanese Kamikaze rituals, from behind the barbed wire fence of the internment camp. He starts singing the song he has heard many times before. Starved, confused British kid singing his lungs out as he watches a Japanese friend put on the bandana in the ceremony. As a 13 year old kid in 1987. That was the first movie I ever saw in theater that I bawled my eyes out. Thirty years later I still whistle that song, not even knowing I'm doing it. Book: I've read Thousands of books. Literally. The one that stands out Strongest to me was Horns, by Joe Hill. It was a Perfect simple story that had me completely lost in another world. And I still want to explore the Tree House. :)
says DW2 on Jun 19th 17 (#2593785)
Reply | +1 | 1

Book: 11/22/63 by Stephen King....pretty typical time travel plot if you read the summary but once you're into the details it is so much more. I love the device of how trying to change the past makes the past defend itself by pushing back. Movie: Lost in Translation. I've just always related to Bob....minus the fact that he's a millionaire. It'd be nice to have a Charlotte.
says ProdigalSon on Jun 19th 17 (#2593838)
Reply | +2 | 3

The Inheritance saga (book) by Christopher Paolini. I like fantasy novels, a lot, and this series pulled me right into it like no other has; I easily felt like I was living the life right along with the characters in the, plus I had a crush on the Elvin princess ;)
says PartyOfOne on Jun 19th 17 (#2594099)
Reply | +1 | 1

Add A Comment
If you would like to leave a comment, please login or create an account.