Amirite?
now you can be right wherever you are.

George Washington's view on sh*thole countries (+6)
says Mcfly on Jan 13th 18 (#817557)
Agree (7) | Disagree (1)

Immigrants are the ones who made this country great. Not every immigrant who came here in the 1900s was of the elite in their country. They came here with a work ethic and a desire for a better life and they raised themselves up through education and assimilation. Without the hard work and dedication of those early immigrants, we would be the same sh**hole as the ones to which Trump has referred.
says Linnster on Jan 13th 18 (#2711806)
Reply | +7 | 7

Linn, I think the reasons, and work ethics of those who came here 100 years ago are a lot different than those coming here today.
says JustJimColo on Jan 13th 18 (#2711856)
Reply | +3 | 3

I think the reasons may be the same - a better life, fleeing war-torn countries or countries where the cartels and gangs have taken over - but the immigrants of today are less likely to want to assimilate and, of course, there are government benefits to which they might be entitled that the immigrant of yore didn't have.
says Linnster on Jan 13th 18 (#2711946)
Reply | +2 | 1

Leave it to McFly to only print the first part of the sentence and take it out of context. The rest of the sentence in that quote was, "but I shall be the more particularly happy, if this Country can be, by any means, useful to the Patriots of Holland, with whose situation I am peculiarly touched, and of whose public virtue I entertain a great opinion." Also, the "quoye" was in a letter to François Adriaan van der Kemp or Francis Adrian Vanderkemp was one of the Dutch radical leaders of the Patriots, a minister and publicist who gave the Patriot movement a Christian tint in his blazing speeches. Washington was referring to the foreign patriots who fought for this country.
says JustJimColo on Jan 13th 18 (#2711855)
Reply | +4 | 4

Not telling the whole truth is an occupational disease among ideologues. It happens most often among those who watch MSNBC or CNN too much.
says Thinkerbell on Jan 16th 18 (#2712884)
Reply | +1 | 1

Unless people look like Trump (white) he has no use for them. He's nothing but a bigoted, racist, lying clump of clay who is unfit to be president.
says StarzAbove on Jan 13th 18 (#2712004)
Reply | +2 | 2

Ironically at the time of George Washington many considered the U.S. a shithole country.
says PhilboydStudge on Jan 13th 18 (#2712097)
Reply | +2 | 1

??? Who considered the US a shithole? People were immigrating to the US, not away from it. The US was not a "shithole" country. It was considered the land of opportunity. Other countries such as France and Russia had huge land investments here. Russia settled Alaska in 1784. France owned a large section of the US back in 1682.
says JustJimColo on Jan 13th 18 (#2712119)
Reply | +1 | 1

I was thinking specifically of something called the Degeneracy Thesis. It was pseudo-science that I feel grew from a European superiority complex around that time. In the second half of the 18th century, prominent European intellectuals supported a theory claiming that “due chiefly to atmospheric conditions, in particular excessive humidity, all living things in the Americas were not only inferior to those found in Europe, but also in a condition of decline.” In my mind it was not that dissimilar to phrenology (another pseudo-science), which purported that the shape of one's head determined their mental capabilities. It was used to justify the inferiority of certain races. Additionally, the English writer and moralist Samuel Johnson said, "How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of Negroes"? He also said, "I am willing to love all mankind, except an American". The story begins in Europe. The roots of antagonism toward the New World grew among the nations that first colonized it. America was the repository of the old world's disenfranchised and discontented, after all. http://library.cqpress.com/cqre...obal2007030003 ("Background - The Ungrateful Son").
says PhilboydStudge on Jan 14th 18 (#2712263)
Reply | +1 | 1

I think that was more arrogance than anything, and it continues today everywhere in the world. It could be from the wine growers in France who consider their wine the finest in the world to some artist community in California who considers their crafts the best in the world. While I think Europe during the middle ages probably did consider themselves superior, it was probably based on the facts they had at the time. They had cities and industry "of a sort" that nobody else they encountered in the world had. They ruled the oceans as well. The people they encountered were, for the most part, almost naked and still living in grass huts. People always have and always will, like to consider to think they are special. Look at the arguments to this day over who was the "first man", and where he came from in the world. I'm not surprised at moralist Samuel Johnson's works. After all, he was English and the Americas were resisting English rule and laws at that time. It's somewhat ironic that he condemned the Americans for owning slaves, when you consider black Africans sold the blacks into slavery, English merchants bought and transported them, and then sold them to the Americans.
says JustJimColo on Jan 14th 18 (#2712326)
Reply | +1 | 1

Times/things were a lot different back in George Washington's day.
says azlotto on Jan 14th 18 (#2712253)
Reply | 0 | 0

... and then he went and massacred native people, enslaved people, and killed war veterans for exercising their First Amendment Rights.
says Walt_OReagun on Jan 16th 18 (#2712891)
Reply | 0 | 0

Add A Comment
If you would like to leave a comment, please login or create an account.