Amirite?
now you can be right wherever you are.

What was the best job offer you've had and accepted?
says PartyOfOne on Feb 11th 18 (#818093)

When I had just started my final year of Uni doing software development, the IT manager of the University needed to recruit two new techs and asked the top 5 for expressions of interest, and I got a great job in Networking Infrastructure which wasn't what I had trained in. I was so lucky, it doesn't work like that these days.
says OzSurfer on Feb 11th 18 (#2722917)
Reply | +5 | 5

I'm very glad you had that bit of luck with the timing :) So many of our college/uni students pour tens of thousands of dollars into their education only to find the job market completely lacking options. Many graduates are having to look for work out of state, or take whatever they can within state that isn't at all in their field of study. Are you still with the same company, or at least doing the same type of work?
says PartyOfOne on Feb 11th 18 (#2722930)
Reply | +3 | 3

Yes you are right about that, I think that's how the job market is now. My niece finished a degree with honours in Microbiology, she got one of the highest marks yet is working in a supermarket check out because that's all she can get at the moment. No i was with them for 13 years but they had a change of management and decided to outsource IT so I was made redundant. Suddenly I found it extremely difficult to get the same kind of work. I applied for 122 jobs just to get the one I have now, and it's with a Federal Government department and is only part time, but I'm very lucky to have that. It's also not in IT hardware it's in finance and processes. I feel sorry for young people coming out of Uni now, there just isn't the jobs available like their once was.
says OzSurfer on Feb 11th 18 (#2722932)
Reply | +5 | 5

First job as a drummer...Money was little, but it was a thrill.
says _Howler_ on Feb 11th 18 (#2722934)
Reply | +7 | 7

Probably the other way around. I offered to buy my last employers business and he accepted it. Then I became a business owner with all that goes with it. I built the business up from five employees to 22 and tripled the income of the business. A few years back, a good employee offered to buy me out and I accepted his offer and retired from the money I made. Best thing I ever did!
says Rooster on Feb 11th 18 (#2722981)
Reply | +6 | 7

I've often wondered who the "1 percent" are... now I know at least one lol. Always nice to find good people having good fortune ;D Thanks for taking a bit of time to share your comment - it's always looked forward to and appreciated ;)
says PartyOfOne on Feb 11th 18 (#2723051)
Reply | +4 | 4

You're very welcome! (biggrin)
says Rooster on Feb 11th 18 (#2723052)
Reply | +4 | 4

My first job out of high school, working for a large corporation in their Personnel Department. Great job, fun and interesting, met a lot of people coming in for jobs.
says StarzAbove on Feb 11th 18 (#2722991)
Reply | +6 | 6

Yes, I'd imagine it would've been, and I'm glad it was for you :) If the business is still in operation, do you see yourself wanting to go back there?
says PartyOfOne on Feb 11th 18 (#2723062)
Reply | +4 | 4

It's still in business and going strong, but, no I wouldn't want to go back.
says StarzAbove on Feb 11th 18 (#2723064)
Reply | +4 | 4

Okay :) Well thanks for sharing some of your time and a bit of history - nice of you :D
says PartyOfOne on Feb 11th 18 (#2723068)
Reply | +4 | 3

My pleasure.
says StarzAbove on Feb 11th 18 (#2723072)
Reply | +4 | 4

The one I have now. Been there going on 6 years, and I love it.
says SynysterGates on Feb 11th 18 (#2723011)
Reply | +7 | 7

Always good to hear, young sir ;) Thanks for sharing a minute or two - always glad to have you ;)
says PartyOfOne on Feb 11th 18 (#2723063)
Reply | +5 | 5

A machinist. It was amazing to see raw material come in and mechanical devices go out. I still have my 1-2-3 block.
says azlotto on Feb 11th 18 (#2723071)
Reply | +5 | 5

I had to look up the 1-2-3 block on Google and recognized it from our machine shop at a paper mill I worked at - they look expensive :) I take it that you're no longer working at the shop (?)
says PartyOfOne on Feb 11th 18 (#2723116)
Reply | +4 | 4

A precision 1-2-3 block was about $30 at that time...Not made in China.
says azlotto on Feb 11th 18 (#2723128)
Reply | +4 | 4

I was doing some refurbishing work in a casino, they asked me if I wanted to work there on the maintenance team, which I accepted...I only stayed for six months but it was great....
says JD on Feb 12th 18 (#2723604)
Reply | +4 | 4

John, thanks for helping me with this post, I appreciate it and all the others you've taken part in. I have a vague memory of you mentioning something similar on another post that came close to this issue. I remember you liking what you worked at with that as well. :) Best wishes with the rest of your weekend.
says PartyOfOne on Feb 18th 18 (#2725810)
Reply | +4 | 4

My first job out of the Corps. I stayed for 8 years and learned the business. 38 years later it's a different company but same business. 22 months to go. Ha!
says Will_Janitor on Feb 17th 18 (#2725606)
Reply | +3 | 4

Many thanks for your military service.
says _Howler_ on Feb 18th 18 (#2725837)
Reply | +2 | 2

My first job after the Army was at a gas pump - yee hah. The training the service gave me led to nothing much in civilian jobs. Twenty-two months will go fast. Any exotic plans after that?
says PartyOfOne on Feb 18th 18 (#2725834)
Reply | +2 | 2

Many thanks for your military service.
says _Howler_ on Feb 18th 18 (#2725836)
Reply | +2 | 2

Thank you, very kindly - I appreciate your recognition :D
says PartyOfOne on Feb 18th 18 (#2725839)
Reply | +2 | 2

(y)
says _Howler_ on Feb 18th 18 (#2725840)
Reply | +2 | 2

Probably head south for a few months then go see the people and places we never had time for until now. 😊
says Will_Janitor on Feb 18th 18 (#2725841)
Reply | +2 | 2

That sounds nice, honestly it does. I may copy your plan come Fall 😊 Best wishes with the rest of your evening, Will. Take good care.
says PartyOfOne on Feb 18th 18 (#2725849)
Reply | +1 | 1

When ESPN was just getting started, they had their trucks built in California. They hired me to drive them first to Delaware to register them, then to Connecticut to deliver them. After I delivered the 3rd truck, they offered men a job as their number one driver. I laughed, and told them no one would be interested in watching college sports on TV. Boy, was I ever wrong on that one (confused)
says Flrdsgns on Feb 18th 18 (#2725880)
Reply | +2 | 2

I can understand the doubt - college sports wouldn't seem to have the draw from my point of view, either... oh, well :) Thanks for taking some time out to post your comment - nice of you to give your input ;)
says PartyOfOne on Feb 18th 18 (#2725889)
Reply | 0 | 1

Add A Comment
If you would like to leave a comment, please login or create an account.