Amirite?
now you can be right wherever you are.

They estimate 12% of drivers don’t have auto insurance in the US. Why don't they take steps to fix this? (-1)
says JustJimColo on Mar 12th 18 (#818527)
Agree (4) | Disagree (5)

How do they renew their tags? In Canada you need to provide proof of insurance.
says SynysterGates on Mar 12th 18 (#2732188)
Reply | +2 | 2

In Colorado, they "trust" you when "renewing". You only have to show proof the first time it is registered. That still doesn't solve the problem of insuring and then canceling once you get your plates.
says JustJimColo on Mar 12th 18 (#2732189)
Reply | +3 | 3

Having drivers show proof of insurance when renewing tags is one option. They fine for no insurance in Canada is minimum $1,000 and maximum $5000.
says SynysterGates on Mar 12th 18 (#2732190)
Reply | +2 | 2

The fine isn't that much most places in the US. The illegals don't show for court in the US anyway. Again, the only way to find out if a car is uninsured is generally after they have been in an accident. We need to impound the uninsured cars before they are in an accident. If they are licensed, and have plates, they need to be insured. https://www.carinsurance.com/dr...ies-state.aspx
says JustJimColo on Mar 12th 18 (#2732193)
Reply | +2 | 2

I agree Jim. How would they know who's insured or not? DMV should have that responsibility.
says SynysterGates on Mar 12th 18 (#2732194)
Reply | +1 | 1

I agree. If insurance companies would partner with the DMV and send an alert to the DMV when insurance has been canceled, there would be a way of tracking uninsured vehicles. It would be a win win scenario. Insurance companies would get more business and the road would have less uninsured drivers.
says JustJimColo on Mar 12th 18 (#2732197)
Reply | +1 | 1

Great Idea. Now go sell that idea to DMV for a 3% cut. (hehe)
says SynysterGates on Mar 12th 18 (#2732198)
Reply | +1 | 1

Never happen. The Democrats would call it racist or xenophobia. Just wishful thinking here.
says JustJimColo on Mar 12th 18 (#2732200)
Reply | +1 | 1

They clamp and fine over 8000 cars every month for having no tax insurance or mot...this is in England ...
says JD on Mar 15th 18 (#2733147)
Reply | 0 | 0

Just Jim: I never thought someone would be so shifty as to do buy insurance then cancel it. The idea of sending un insured notices can't be that difficult - if you are paying on a loan the insurance company. I have a feeling the police wouldn't want that extra information as it would cause them more work. Myself I have had the wrong years card in my car, the police here know me so just said get the correct card into the car asap. Maybe they trust me or maybe they don't care, I don't know.
says LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred on Mar 14th 18 (#2733055)
Reply | +1 | 1

People who insure and then cancel are more common than we think. If people are financing the car, the finance company makes sure it is insured and if they cancel insurance, the insurance contacts the finance company. The cars that don't have insurance are generally older cars or ones that have been paid for. I know it would be more work for the cops initially but once people found out there was a system in place and they had to pay the police a few hundred to get their car out, plus towing and storage fees, I think most people would start carrying insurance. Besides, you probably just look trustworthy. :)
says JustJimColo on Mar 15th 18 (#2733072)
Reply | 0 | 0

JJ Sounds good, but you know some people are going to try to get away with no insurance, I wonder if you could take them to small claims court uf they don't have insurance?
says LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred on Mar 15th 18 (#2733143)
Reply | +1 | 1

You can always take someone to small claims court, but if they don't have anything, what's the point?
says JustJimColo on Mar 15th 18 (#2733157)
Reply | 0 | 0

IN England they catch 8000 each month and if a detector van finds you or the police this is what you get back to and have to pay the fine and make sure the car is legal before it's released http://data.amirite.net/user_im...a3b8e4cb5f.jpg
says JD on Mar 15th 18 (#2733153)
Reply | +1 | 1

After working in the automotive business for 30 years, I heard a lot of these stories from people who brought their vehicles in for repairs. It's also mandatory to provide proof of insurance here in order to register your vehicle but people are still finding ways to get around it. I highly agree with your statements and would like to see more action taken!
says Rooster on Mar 12th 18 (#2732210)
Reply | +2 | 2

You write code. Come up with software that fit's the need and propose it. :)
says JustJimColo on Mar 12th 18 (#2732216)
Reply | +1 | 1

I just might do that this week-end and submit it to the DMV!
says Rooster on Mar 12th 18 (#2732219)
Reply | +1 | 1

Remember.. I get .001% LOL I'm cheap, but not easy.
says JustJimColo on Mar 12th 18 (#2732226)
Reply | +1 | 1

https://media.giphy.com/media/3...UuI0/giphy.gif
says Rooster on Mar 12th 18 (#2732250)
Reply | +1 | 1

Obviously some get away with no insurance in England but they know if anyone has no insurance, tax and M.O.T. ...we have detector vans driving round that can detect any car without all legal requirements and police can check any car....
says JD on Mar 12th 18 (#2732233)
Reply | +2 | 2

JD Wow that sounds like James bond technology. (chew)
says LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred on Mar 15th 18 (#2733144)
Reply | +1 | 1

http://data.amirite.net/user_im...a301a6f9f8.jpg These vans have cameras and detectors all over
says JD on Mar 15th 18 (#2733146)
Reply | +1 | 0

PA held up our registration for a vehicle because the insurance co notified DMV that we canceled our policy. Of course they neglected to mention the we got insurance with another co. Over five times our ins. co faxed proof of ins to Harrisburg but they ignored it. I called the AG's office and they asked why I called them. I told them that they were the only ones answering their phones that day. They got a chuckle out of it and I did get cleared the same day. We have Underinsured ins on our policy - that just means that they can't get money out of the you know who so they get from responsible people who have a lot to lose if we don't carry ins. What a scam on responsible people.
says ozzyboy on Mar 13th 18 (#2732294)
Reply | +2 | 2

I wish all insurance companies would let them know, and that they would act on it. <s> I have 5 vehicles and have to carry uninsured motorist on all of them. That's an extra couple hundred a year to the insurance companies. Maybe that's why there isn't a push to enforce the laws.
says JustJimColo on Mar 13th 18 (#2732326)
Reply | +2 | 2

police need them so they can kill criminals and crazies.
says LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred on Mar 14th 18 (#2733039)
Reply | 0 | 0

In Maine insurance is required, no insurance means no registration, or inspection tickets. Every time a cop stops you it is required to be shown. What more could they do?
says LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred on Mar 14th 18 (#2733053)
Reply | +1 | 1

Some state require insurance companies to alert them, some don't. People play the odds. What are the odds of getting stopped? Ever watch cops? Nobody has insurance when they are stopped and most don't even have a drivers license.
says JustJimColo on Mar 15th 18 (#2733076)
Reply | 0 | 0

Just Jim - I have been stopped a bunch of times, not so much since I traded my celica sporty to prius granola . They only ask for all that but yes I do have all I need. BUT one time a big truck scrapped my front end, he was all mad and asked if I had insurance, I said of course- then when the police got there he didn't have proof. of insurance. He seemed to know the cop and said he would go home and get it. I didn't push it cause my car will need its yearly fix up soon anyhow. I do wish large pickups were banned from parking lots,it was that way years ago, compact cars only. they are so rude taking up 2 spaces or just running into other cars parked because the truck is parked at weird angles or whatever else the jerks do.
says LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred on Mar 15th 18 (#2733111)
Reply | +1 | 1

I've been stopped maybe 4 times in 47 years of driving. You must be a wild woman behind the wheel. LOL Banning pickup from parking lots? Lorraine, where I am from, there are more pickups and large SUV's in the parking lots than cars. I think the problem isn't so much the size of the vehicles as the fact that parking spots have been made so much smaller over the years. I've also seen a lot cars taking up two spots so nobody will get close to their car. <s>
says JustJimColo on Mar 15th 18 (#2733114)
Reply | 0 | 0

Just Jim - you may be right about size of the lots I never thought of that. , Oh I am a slower driver very careful, but they stop me for odd things like the inspection sticker off center r or registration sticker, couple years ago I always got stopped when leaving my favorite dance place, I don't drink but they think if you are slower you must be drunk - I just say Honey I don't drink - just diet coke. . I never get a ticket not even when I was driving 80 around a mall, that was years ago, I am not all revved up these days. . Cops here are pretty good but especially to me as I worked for the city years ago, just chat and ask them a few questions and they always say just warning or something. Plus I always wave when I see cops and give em a thumbs up when they have a speeder pulled over
says LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred on Mar 15th 18 (#2733119)
Reply | +1 | 1

It never hurts to be friendly. :)
says JustJimColo on Mar 15th 18 (#2733159)
Reply | 0 | 0

Add A Comment
If you would like to leave a comment, please login or create an account.