Amirite?
now you can be right wherever you are.

Contentious Opinion Alert: It would serve the LGBT community well to call out members for stunts like this... These are the sort of antics that invite perfectly reasonable criticism. (+3)
says ForkNdaRoad on Jun 14th 18 (#820553)
Agree (5) | Disagree (2)

It's noteworthy that she's an English teacher, not a civics teacher or social studies teacher, not even a history teacher. She really had no business manipulating these kids into such a provocative assignment to begin with. But that wildly irresponsible decision was only surpassed by her accusing a student of hate-speech for an opinion she solicited. These are kids for Pete's sake. If you didn't expect them to behave immaturely when attacked, you probably shouldn't be goading them into such silliness in the first place.
says ForkNdaRoad on Jun 14th 18 (#2778289)
Reply | +1 | 1

lol...I don't want to get into a big thing here, and I get the point and I also agree.....but... Do you even realize what you just said? You essentially said that the students who wrote "hate speech" (non politically correct or in disagreement/opposing opinion) are "immature". You are almost as bad as the teacher.
says Him on Jun 14th 18 (#2778295)
Reply | +1 | 1

They are, as kids, by definition immature. I didn't realize that was in dispute.
says ForkNdaRoad on Jun 14th 18 (#2778345)
Reply | 0 | 0

Yeah, but you said they "BEHAVE immaturely" , insinuative to when they gave a "wrong" opinion or an opinion "she dislikes". The students who gave a favorable opinion are the same age and just as immature or mature.
says Him on Jun 14th 18 (#2778372)
Reply | +1 | 1

I'm actually granting the teachers claim, which I likely shouldn't because I've seen no evidence of it, that the children "bullied" her online; this would be immature behavior, but predictably immature given they're kids. Disagree?
says ForkNdaRoad on Jun 14th 18 (#2778381)
Reply | +1 | 1

Ah... I misunderstood. I get it now.
says Him on Jun 14th 18 (#2778386)
Reply | +1 | 1

To be fair, the girl she accused of espousing hate-speech claims she wasn't involved in any of the alleged cyber-bullying.
says ForkNdaRoad on Jun 14th 18 (#2778399)
Reply | 0 | 0

I couldn't watch the video, but it appears there's more to the story: A middle school teacher in the Rocklin Unified School District says she had to go on mental health leave after her students bullied her when they learned she was gay and that the school did not do enough to stop it. "At the start of the school year, some students found out that I am gay — a fact I had never shared with my students," Amy Estes, who teachers 8th grade English at Spring View Middle School, posted on her Facebook page. "They posted photos online and it became the talk of the campus. https://www.abc10.com/mobile/ar.../103-562549922 If the students have been bullying her since the beginning of the year and the school didn't address it to her satisfaction, what better way to set the stage for some publicity and possibly a lawsuit, not to mention some extra paid time off just before year end? I would add that I do not think there is anything wrong with such an assignment in an English class, in and of itself. It appears she may have used it (and her students) as a setup to achieve her goals, however.
says Bozette on Jun 14th 18 (#2778323)
Reply | +6 | 4

The student that she accused of hate speech was not bullying and she didn't provide any evidence, from what I've seen of this story, of the alleged bullying. But her claim is provided at the link. Also, at what point does the safety of the students come into consideration? It seems obvious to me that kids required to voice potentially controversial opinions, then attacked for them, may no longer feel safe under the thumb of the teacher who instigated the whole thing. They are kids after all.
says ForkNdaRoad on Jun 14th 18 (#2778341)
Reply | +1 | 1

I didn't say she was. Her actual claim is not at the link, unless it is on the video, which I cannot watch. Though that it was made was obvious. I clearly stated that I didn't believe there was anything wrong with such an assignment in and of itself, and that it appears the teacher used it to provoke just such a result for her own ends. I did not say that her doing so was proper. To be fair, I didn't say it was improper, either...I didn't think I needed to. :)
says Bozette on Jun 14th 18 (#2778377)
Reply | +2 | 2

From the article: "Last week, Estes, a middle school teacher at Spring View Middle School in Rocklin, said she had to go on mental health leave after her students cyber-bullied her when they learned she was gay -- something she had never addressed in class. Estes said she did not feel safe and supported by her school administration, which she had hoped would address her concerns and organize a school-wide lesson on tolerance."
says ForkNdaRoad on Jun 14th 18 (#2778378)
Reply | 0 | 0

Which, as I quoted and linked above, has been ongoing since the beginning of the year. Nowhere in that quote does it say that she accused the one girl of hate speech, though it was made clear that happened elsewhere in the article. What was not reported was her actual complaint against that girl for hate speech.
says Bozette on Jun 14th 18 (#2778383)
Reply | +2 | 2

Sorry, I didn't realize you were referring to the hate-speech accusation, I thought you were referring to her claim that she was bullied. The hate-speech comments were covered briefly in the video. Only the girl's response was in the text, I think. From my understanding of this, the claims about bullying didn't come until after the assignment and didn't involve the girl at all. I haven't read the entire story at the link you provided, but I will.
says ForkNdaRoad on Jun 14th 18 (#2778398)
Reply | 0 | 0

Perhaps not publicly, but she reported it to the admin at the beginning of the school year. "Estes says she repeatedly approached her administrators about the issue at the beginning of the school year, but nothing was done."
says Bozette on Jun 14th 18 (#2778401)
Reply | +2 | 2

See, that just blows my mind, I can't imagine how anyone could possibly think that situation would be made better with the assignment she handed out.
says ForkNdaRoad on Jun 14th 18 (#2778403)
Reply | +1 | 1

As I said..it sounds like she used that assignment to provoke just such a response so that she could use it for paid time off conveniently timed near and through the end of the school year and possibly for a lawsuit. She might not be a good teacher or a good person, but she ain't stupid, eh?
says Bozette on Jun 14th 18 (#2778408)
Reply | +2 | 2

Oh no doubt, seems there was definitely a method to this.
says ForkNdaRoad on Jun 14th 18 (#2778414)
Reply | +2 | 2

Did I watch the video? No. Let's examine, shall we? She's gay. The kids said, "Hey, she's gay!" Kids mainly talk online now. So, the kids produced photos proving the teacher is gay. So, is she upset that the kids found out, or that the kids proved it? I think Bozette's right, this was a set up to get some paid time off.
says trooper on Jun 14th 18 (#2778542)
Reply | +1 | 1

"Don't be stupid, be a smarty. You can join the Nazi Party. Now accepting dykes." Not only am I disappointed that a mel brooks fan would take up such bs views, but this comentor clearly doesn't understand that gays were targeted by the nazis just as they are doing, and they would sooner add them to their ranks than "dykes" Are we still doing this crap in 2018 just move along people. Notice how little kids are homophobic because it is such a childish thing to be. Something from people who know little about the world and nothing about empathy. People who put climbing a social ladder above the well being of others. That's what teachers are here for. To expand minds so that children can get out of this primeval slump of "fear and mock the detractors" and into a state of mind that is productive for a world moving forward for the betterment of mankind. We can't move forward if we keep smacking each other around like the rebel groups in Life of Brian. Adapt to gay people existing, or be left behind and become the dust behind the wheels of progress.
says TomboyJanet on Jun 14th 18 (#2778649)
Reply | 0 | 1

Add A Comment
If you would like to leave a comment, please login or create an account.