Amirite?
now you can be right wherever you are.

At what point does disobeying the law/orders from your superiors become a moral obligation?
says DWF on Jun 20th 18 (#820701)

N. Bellic - "I been around long enough to know that there is some things that we don't have a choice about, but there's other times where you got to look at something and make a decision for yourself. I can't follow every order I'm given."
says Tanor_Faux on Jun 20th 18 (#2781569)
Reply | +1 | 0

When they are undeniably immoral. There comes a point where you can't sell out.
says Logan on Jun 20th 18 (#2781581)
Reply | +4 | 1

When it starts negatively effecting others? ... especially innocent others?
says Zolfie on Jun 20th 18 (#2781582)
Reply | +2 | 1

says Zolfie on Jun 20th 18 (#2781583)
Reply | +1 | 1

says Zolfie on Jun 20th 18 (#2781584)
Reply | +1 | 1

When I would not be able to look myself in the mirror and like what I saw after doing it.
says Linnster on Jun 20th 18 (#2781585)
Reply | +2 | 1

When it’s an unlawful order. However, since my military time is done, I have no “superiors”.
says trooper on Jun 20th 18 (#2781597)
Reply | +5 | 5

Whenever it feels wrong you know they gave an order you shouldn't follow. I worked for a rich man and paid all his bills. One bank payment was due and he told me not to pay it. But I knew there would be fees and troubles so I paid it. He got mad and I got a new job because I could not stand to let that happen again.
says LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred on Jun 20th 18 (#2781605)
Reply | +1 | 1

Be serious. No matter how immoral things get, there are plenty of people who would jump at the chance to do it if they are sure they can get away with it. Government goons have murdered lots of people in recent history, for no particular reason. IRS exists in violation of the constitution. There are thousands of examples.
says that_guy on Jun 20th 18 (#2781625)
Reply | +1 | 1

I assume you're talking about the military, and in that case it's very simple: you are obligated to disobey an order that is unlawful. When you sign up for the US military, you take an oath: I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. By joining the military, you know full well your job could easily involve wrecking shit, killing people... making little kids cry... By taking the oath, you agree to turn over virtually all your decision making to the heirarchy you're entering. That means you have a very limited ability to act according to your own ideas of morality. As such, what you think is moral doesn't really count for squat: when it comes to following orders, it comes down to what is legal. And who determines that? Basically your superiors (and the courts). So what happens if a soldier willfully disobeys an order that is considered to be legal? It's a crime. If you influence another person to disobey, you can be charged with mutiny. You could be demoted, fired, imprisoned, or in time of war you can be sentenced to death. That's the reality of the situation, if you're not okay with that, don't sign up, because once you sign, they own your ****. https://www.thebalancecareers.c...orders-3332819
says Maze on Jun 20th 18 (#2781633)
Reply | +4 | 4

If the order is unlawful. An example in current events might be helpful. Separating family members of families crossing the border illegally isn't illegal. It's sad and even painful, but so many extenuating circumstances are involved and the only way to keep the children safe during adjudication is to separate them from the adults. Now, if I were ordered to drag these family members to the side and kill them - that is clearly unlawful and I would disobey. Glad to be of help.
says Budwick on Jun 20th 18 (#2781711)
Reply | +2 | 2

What if the laws change?
says DWF on Jun 21st 18 (#2782342)
Reply | 0 | 0

So that the order is now lawful? I think the implication is that if the order is lawful, I would follow the order.
says Budwick on Jun 21st 18 (#2782407)
Reply | 0 | 0

That didn't fly in the Nuremberg trials
says DWF on Jun 21st 18 (#2782452)
Reply | 0 | 1

Nope, it didn't. Good thing they're not sending immigrants to gas chambers, eh?
says Budwick on Jun 22nd 18 (#2782743)
Reply | 0 | 0

What if they were?
says DWF on Jun 22nd 18 (#2782746)
Reply | 0 | 0

I don't hypothetical games DWF. The comparison you are making is ridiculous.
says Budwick on Jun 22nd 18 (#2782747)
Reply | 0 | 0

I'm not saying that America is going to send anyone to the gas chambers, I'm just asking what you would do f we were
says DWF on Jun 22nd 18 (#2782761)
Reply | 0 | 0

What would YOU do if the presidents decisions and policies for a year and a half had been the best things to happen in the USA for decades?
says Budwick on Jun 22nd 18 (#2782764)
Reply | 0 | 0

It would be quite lovely if that happened
says DWF on Jun 22nd 18 (#2782803)
Reply | 0 | 1

It did.
says Budwick on Jun 22nd 18 (#2782808)
Reply | 0 | 0

As soon as we find someone who is QUALIFIED to determine what is moral and immoral, not someone who "thinks" they are qualified. There's no such entity, so I do what I think is right, regardless of "law", and let the chips fall.
says Him on Jun 20th 18 (#2781794)
Reply | 0 | 0

Add A Comment
If you would like to leave a comment, please login or create an account.