Amirite?
now you can be right wherever you are.

Do you believe everything in creation has a purpose for existing?
says BlindMist on Aug 2nd 18 (#821714)
Yes, but I will not tell you my purpose (4)
Yes, and I will tell you my purpose (1)
Only some things have a purpose (4)
Nothing has a purpose (7)
Other (3)

I don't like the idea of everyone having a preordained purpose. Who bestows this purpose, and how do I know if they have humanity's best interests at heart?
says DWF on Aug 2nd 18 (#2799062)
Reply | +3 | 2

Fair enough. In my mind, God creates everything with a purpose for being.
says BlindMist on Aug 2nd 18 (#2799069)
Reply | +2 | 1

I agree.
says StarzAbove on Aug 2nd 18 (#2799084)
Reply | 0 | 0

I'm curious as to why you believe this. In my mind, why would an all-powerful deity create a tsunami that killed almost 300,000 people, many of whom had never even heard of Mohammed, Yahweh, or Jesus? Things like this ultimately created a cognitive dissonance I couldn't live with
says PhilboydStudge on Aug 10th 18 (#2801692)
Reply | 0 | 0

Because when you look at the universe, the sun, the stars, the planets, when you look at creation, everything operates under the law under which they were created. And even though humans have free will, I don't think we're alive for no reason, though it remains to be seen the percentage of people that actually discover their purpose. Natural disasters operate under the laws of nature, which, I believe, God has control over. He has both an active and passive will, so with His passive will, He allows certain things to happen. Why? I don't have the answer to your question, but I believe they can act as signs of the time. The Bible says there will be wars and rumors of wars; nation shall rise against nation, kingdom against kingdom; there will be famine, pestilence, and earthquakes in diverse places. With that taken into account, I think that many natural disasters today are a result of God's wrath and displeasure. But I can understand that. A lot of people feel the same way. Personally, I have never experienced cognitive dissonance with my religious beliefs.
says BlindMist on Aug 13th 18 (#2802310)
Reply | 0 | 1

Thank you for the explanation.
says PhilboydStudge on Aug 14th 18 (#2802427)
Reply | 0 | 0

Not necessarily. I believe some things may have once had a purpose, but don't anymore. I do believe that any person can find their purpose, though. And a "purpose" doesn't have to be some big noble cause either.
says TheobaldHospitaller on Aug 2nd 18 (#2799067)
Reply | +3 | 3

Like what things? I'm just curious.
says BlindMist on Aug 2nd 18 (#2799070)
Reply | 0 | 0

Like wisdom teeth :D I don't think they exist for nothing; clearly they once had some kind of useful function otherwise they wouldn't be there. But it seems they have lost their purpose.
says TheobaldHospitaller on Aug 3rd 18 (#2799141)
Reply | +1 | 1

I understand that Jan. Ages ago our teeth were our lives and our jaws bigger, the wisdom teeth would move in when others fell out. as we become more civilized we don't need to chew such hard foods and those extra teeth just don't fit anymore.
says LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred on Aug 11th 18 (#2801842)
Reply | 0 | 0

At some point I learned that Solomon was the wisest man who ever lived. He wrote about how Earthly things are really kind of meaningless. He gives these concluding remarks in the book of Ecclesiastes: "Here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil" So, I try to honor God in what I think, do and say. I don't keep score, check with Vic, I'm pretty sure he does.
says Budwick on Aug 2nd 18 (#2799068)
Reply | +1 | 1

You seem to agree with Solomon and yet you vote that everything has a purpose (which means even earthly things). So in your opinion, how can something be meaningless and still have purpose?
says BlindMist on Aug 2nd 18 (#2799071)
Reply | +1 | 0

Read Ecclesiastes to better understand what is meant by Earthly things. But all things have purpose to honor God. Earthly things that many people seem to care about really mean nothing in the big scheme of things.
says Budwick on Aug 3rd 18 (#2799263)
Reply | +1 | 1

OH so we should have nothing but groveling in our lives? I would rather be a dog they don't have a real purpose but they don't care.
says LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred on Aug 10th 18 (#2801490)
Reply | 0 | 0

Groveling? Sorry Lorraine, you lost me. I haven't clue where that is coming from. What I mean by Earthly things is that Solomon learned that the stuff men craved, worked for and fought for like wealth, ****, debauchery, power, etc are all meaningless. Nothing about groveling, nothing at all.
says Budwick on Aug 10th 18 (#2801568)
Reply | 0 | 0

budwick only one part the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. See it says that is the whole duty of man - like we have nothing else but praying every moment.
says LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred on Aug 11th 18 (#2801843)
Reply | 0 | 0

I understand your concern. Honest. But I don't see it that way - like praying every moment. No, I see it more like honoring God in the things that I do.
says Budwick on Aug 13th 18 (#2802261)
Reply | +1 | 1

I personally don't think there's a purpose (a plan) for anyone. People will just make their own basing on their lives and personalities, because purposes are subjective. One might find his/her purpose is to make the world a better place by helping people in need. Another might think its purpose is to also make the world a better place, but by killing/destroying those who are different than him/her. Others follow purposes that are forced upon them, even if it's not something they are happy doing. So I find "purposes" quite tricky - they're much like morals/values. I think the universe is more based on action/reaction.
says Sofia on Aug 2nd 18 (#2799072)
Reply | +5 | 2

Each living thing has it's own purpose. Life.
says Carla on Aug 2nd 18 (#2799106)
Reply | +2 | 2

Not everything. Creation did not include thorns or thistles. The ground is cursed because of A&E, not because of any purpose.
says that_guy on Aug 3rd 18 (#2799404)
Reply | 0 | 0

I've never been able to come up with a purpose for the house fly, unless the purpose is to irritate people
says Flrdsgns on Aug 5th 18 (#2799722)
Reply | +1 | 0

No. If there was, all the many species (even before man) would not have become extinct. One species I would like to see become extinct is mosquitoes.
says JustJimColo on Aug 6th 18 (#2800128)
Reply | +2 | 2

Jim I don't like mosquitoes either. I suppose they are food to birds but there are just too many.
says LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred on Aug 10th 18 (#2801493)
Reply | +1 | 1

Their extermination wont lead to a major eco system change, whatever eats them can eat something else as it already does. Mosquitoes have no benefit to an eco system but being food. They're parasites.
says Sunny_the_skeptic on Aug 10th 18 (#2801651)
Reply | +2 | 1

I hate them also. and nothing causes more diseases.
says LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred on Aug 11th 18 (#2801837)
Reply | 0 | 0

Im with you there Jim, screw mosquitoes, goddamn blood sucking parasites.
says Sunny_the_skeptic on Aug 10th 18 (#2801650)
Reply | +2 | 1

If we want our lives to have a purpose, it's up to each of us to figure out what that is. I don't believe my life had any preordained purpose.
says PhilboydStudge on Aug 10th 18 (#2801466)
Reply | +2 | 1

It depends on what you mean by "purpose". The bible says man was made to take care of the garden. Since the garden no longer exists, man must choose a purpose. That is why we were given a bible. God tells us to choose life, Satan tells us to die for the glory of ... whatever. We consider these things and then we choose.
says that_guy on Aug 10th 18 (#2801526)
Reply | 0 | 0

The way I see it living things have no other purpose than to survive and leave a lineage. So fiercely fighting the changing environment in order to ensure survival of the species, individuals having no value but to leave a genetic trail, and those who managed to do so deemed as most adaptive. Each one of us is the culmination of trillions of generations, countless ancestors. As humans however we have partially beat nature, today many people that would normally die be it due to illness, flawed genes or injuries get to live. We have no purpose but that which we give ourselves.
says Sunny_the_skeptic on Aug 10th 18 (#2801649)
Reply | +2 | 1

Add A Comment
If you would like to leave a comment, please login or create an account.